Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Green summer kick off...

SO, there has been so much progress in my attempt to go GREEN! Not just on a personal tip, but efforts have sauntered into my workplace as well. Here are some highlights:

In life...

  • There is nothing I love to do more then be outside and sit in the sunshine!!! I've been waiting on the DC weather to get it together, but recently been chilling on the water front, hiking and bike riding! I know that's probably not technically going green, but I'm just saying, being outside... being with/in nature helps me want to get it together. Preserve what we've still got for my future kids... The Botanical Garden has a great outdoor exhibit on conservation and preservation. I'll try to take some pics but encourage you to stop through...
  • We got our recycling bin! We now recycle so much of our waste products that I think we’re going to have to order another bin!!! My roomy has also dedicated herself to the cause… Hopefully the Mayor will let us have two bins!
  • I've also started a mini garden on our sun-porch... I'll put pictures up soon. It was going really well at first, but there have been some technical difficulties. You'll see in the pics.

At work...

  • My office has been a big job to tackle, but we’re slowly but surely getting there… I work on Capitol Hill and the CAO (Chief Administrative Office) is working with Speaker Pelosi to Green the Capitol. The two biggest shifts have been the food service provider and the new office recycling program.
  • The new food service (in addition to having WAY better food) uses all compostable materials!!!! How neat is it that everything from the forks to the containers are made out of plant products. The plastic looking containers are really made out of corn. I have to admit the utensils tasted a little funny at first, but it feels good know it’s biodegradable…
  • Our office was the WORST at recycling when I started here last year… every time I would walk by a bin marked “paper” and see bottles, plastics and wrappers, I would cringe! So, I signed us up to be a pilot for the new recycling program and we’ve been doing all right… Some folks have a hard time paying attention to the signage… but we’re getting the hang of it. And our intern (shout out to my boo Q!) put up extra instruction signs to assist! I’ve also recruited a few other offices to join the recycling program as well… (shouts out to Mike for hooking my up with them!)
  • I also joined something called “The Green Team.” I’m still not really sure what they do yet… but I get emails occasionally so I’ll keep you posted.
  • On another tip, I’ve recently taken on environmental justice and climate change issues so I'm embarking on my own personal research… I attended that annual Environmental Justice Conference at Howard Universities Law School and we just hosted a staff briefing on Climate Change 101. I'm doing so much reading I feel like I'm back in school! (Which I need to work on anyway) I’ll have more detailed entries on those soon…

Til next time...

Peace & Green,

Irene

No comments: