Wednesday, April 16, 2008

All that glitters ain't natural...

The sun has a way of touching things. Making them shine. Making them stand out. In human nature, when things stand out, they tend to stir things up. Get you thinking. I guess that’s what was going on here…

But not in a good way.

You see, a friend and I decided to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Day by participating in a service project. I have an affinity for the outdoors, so we spent the cold January day cleaning a park in S.E., Washington, D.C. I love service projects; they make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! But not today… I was angry!!!

It was that day I decided I needed to be an environmentalist. Yes I said it, a Black girl is trying to go enviro… green… all natural (well not all natural, but I’m damn sure going to try!!!).

As we cleaned trash that day, I was enraged by the things we were picking up. Everything from bottles and newspapers, to tires and hair glue! Who is putting their weave in on the sidewalk and then chucks the evidence in a bush!!!! It broke my heart to see plastic bags entangled in the trees. A random mattress dumped on the side of the road. Candy wrappers hidden in the grass.

But I felt some type of way when I saw that plastic shinning in the sun. When I reached down to pick it up and realized it was embedded in the wall of the streams bed. Next to a Pepsi can with a label I’m sure they have not produced for at least 15 years! That means for 15 years that Pepsi can and that piece of plastic had been not only embedding themselves into the side of the wall, but that no one had bothered to pick them up!!! Are you serious?!?!?!?!

Yes, apparently we are.

During the intro session, we were told that small, dirty streams like this feed into the Potomac River. That tons upon tons of garbage, waste, dangerous liquids flowed from these unsuspecting neighborhoods into one of the dirtiest rivers in the nation (I don’t really know that, but it looks bad enough to me!!!!).

So, here I am. Trying to do my part to save the world. Just a little Black girl trying to go Green. This blog with chronicle my Going Green adventures. My stories and experiences. I'll post a couple times a week, so I hope you’ll join me…

Peace & Green ~ Irene

6 comments:

biko said...

sweet....i gotta get the cloth bags.

Cj said...

For the record,

I put my weave on outdoors...it's the way I get closer to nature..

Don't judge me.


Excellent blog homie, many wishes for success Captain Planet

CarmenSpinDiego said...

yeah IRENE!! im tryig to go green too. thanks for the tips!


carmen

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Irene. I've got the cloth bags - now just have to use them! And the low VOC paints - thanks for the stats on that. Keep up the good work...

CKL said...

Wow-- this is my new favorite blog! Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Not into blogs but was thoroughly entertained and inspired by yours. There are a few BGGG (Black Girls Going Green) around thanks for introducing the world to a new one.